Martin P Wilson
Executive & Change Team Mentor, Interim CIO, Projects Director,
Martin is opportunity seeking, an innovator and highly flexible; switching industries, application areas and technologies with ease. Many troubleshooting roles needed Martin to adapt to all three. He adopts a mentoring and supportive, approach with high expectations that creates an environment that fosters successful delivery.
Typical Roles undertaken by Martin P Wilson
- Executive and Project Team Mentor
- Project Delivery Facilitation, Mentoring and Support
- Interim CIO/ Director
- Project & Programmes Consultant
- Public & Private Sector clients of all sizes
Extensive High-level Experience
With extensive experience as Director or senior manager leading large scale national and international programmes Martin runs business change and technical delivery in both public and private sector. His approach is to create clear direction and expectations in an environment in which teams can deliver.
- Technical Delivery Manager for a Government project Programme had more than 100+people and £200+million budget
- Executive Director (interim) - public body with annual budget of £85+million and 60 staff. Programme budgets were £250+million and over 100 project staff. It had complex stakeholder challenges.
- Deputy Director of government knowledge sharing programme with £350million budget, 200+ staff.
- Project Director of HR shared service programme with £300+million budget, 300 people and 1.2million, 600 organisations. Pilot alone was over 100,000 users.
- Change Programme Manager for central government directorate which oversaw 100+ projects, 20+ project managers and associated procurements.
- International and other private sector programmes of more than £20million against tight deadlines.
Staff development has always been key part of Martin's approach and he has designed and run specialist workshops for project managers, communication, organisational development and others. He designed and directed nationals ervice improvement programme for a major retail bank.
All work had formal governance at the highest level by suppliers, client and users. They were usually run using PRINCE 2 and Managing Successful Programmes with formal decision points. Martin created and implemented formal management of project approval, portfolio, change, risk and capability release. In private sector, He defined processes for identification, evaluation and qualification of new business opportunities including a consultancy assignment to improve programme capability in a major telecommunications company.
Martin has been successful managing complex stakeholder environments needing:
- Influencing and negotiating skills where no formal authority exists. Identify opportunities for mutual benefit - leaders ofmany user groups have been fiercely independent.
- Good communication skills both oral and written (author of 3 books, 100s articles)
- Choosing and Using Consultants
- The Information Edge, IM&T Strategy for senior general managers
- Creating and Developing a Consultancy Practice
- Ability to see the big pictures and understand stakeholder's benefits and challenges
- Able to represents client organisation at Director level and across industry/ government at high level.
Outsourcing, Procurement and Commercial
Martin has overseen major outsourcing procurements both as customer and bidder:
- Selection of host operator for Government department Shared Services (over £20million) and Service provider for a national government service of some £30million.
- Systems development and implementation for government departments, services and similar bodies.
- Managed concurrent suppliers on contracts, including most ajor systems integrators and consultancies.
- Programme Director for defence company on a UK Critical National Infrastructure bid (more than £250million)
- Ran business development for a Pannell Kerr Forster consultancy services group.
- Initiated PFI programmes for major government programme.
Complex and Creative Consultancy
Martin has led complex strategy, business and service planning consultancy assignments:
- Worked on national and cross government/industry bodies for developing and overseeing Information Systems and Technology strategy including applications, infrastructures and telecommunications.
- Strategy, Business and service planning in newly independent public sector organisations.
- Large scale information systems and technology strategies, author of book on subject
Martin has had global responsibility for clients and worked in the Netherlands, Belgium, Finland as well as the UK. He worked with diverse international teams on assignments that have had global reach. In particular:
- Implemented Operational Support Systems for a telecommunications company across Benelux and Germany.
- Was Global IT Director for a subsidiary of major telecommunications company.
Contact Martin P Wilson